Trogg Glow Up




Commission painting has taken up most of my time since Christmas, but I've been able to get some of my own work done in the last week!

After selling my squigalanche with the release of the new Gloomspite battletome, I dug through my pile of shame and found most of a new Trogg army!

I wanted to paint something a bit more atmospheric that my previous work. I wanted this army to feel like a band of adventurers just stumbled into a gloomy, phosphorescent mushroom lit cavern, and interrupted a troggboss and his mates.

I made the decision to not go full OSL. Although OSL looks incredible with display minis, gaming pieces do not have the static composition that makes this work. Instead I painted these minis normally, with emphasis on saturated (lighted) areas from a zenith.  The green glow was added afterward with a variety of greens, angled to come from the light source.


I think the effect works well, as the minis look well painted from the eye looking down, and enough glow effect to court further attention.

After that I added some water effect to the open mouths, as I imagine troggs dribbling and drooling as lollop forward to their next meal.  Water effect medium, small plastic pearls and invisible string, as per my sea effect tutorial, is ideal for this.

Not the clearest shot in the above image, but you can make out the bogey hanging from his nose using water effects!

Hope you enjoyed this, and good luck in your next painting project!
 

Comments