Dark Imperium Plague Marines

This started out as a fun little project for me, potentially the start of a new Crusade force for 9th ed 40k. 
As it progressed, it took on a style I had not intended!  These are far more 'Grim Dark' or Blanchitsu feeling than anything I've attempted before.  I think I've achieved this with 3 factors. 

The first is some very subtle (and a little clumsy) object source lighting around the eye lenses.  The plasma gun glow is effective, but in future I need to highlight the source to pure white to be look right.

Corrosion has mottled the otherwise 'clean' green of their armour.  This was acheived with one coat of diluted Blood Angels red.  If there was a tide mark where this paint dried, I used a cotton bud soaked in Iso Alcohol to gently thin it out.  

 
 Finally, instead of a textured base I opted to use some copies of sci fi industrial floor prints glued to the base.  This was a place holder originally, I wasnt sure what basing scheme I wanted for the army.  I opted for this as a quick and simple method to get minis done, but its really pulled the whole thing together!

 For those interested in my commission work, I could paint a squad of 7 of these gents for you for about £50, depending on how fast you'd want it completed!

 

Comments