2012 End of Year Report


Although we are only in September, it is the end of the year for Core-Games.  I would love to run events every weekend of the year, but alas the service must come first.  2012 has been a fun year for me, having participated in six events over the last 12 months.  I achieved a reasonable placing on RHQ, which proved everything I needed to both myself and others.  I introduced a new (and apparently controversial!) scoring method for 40k tournaments, which was welcomed as refreshing and exciting by all those who used it. 

The Solent Concept Challenge had mixed 40k and WFB games, and proved to be ideal in getting local Portsmouth based gamers into the tournament scene.  The friendly atmosphere of the local regulars and the enthusiasm of the new gamers was invigorating and I am going to do my best to re-create it!

The Solent 40,000 Challenge had the unfortunate timing to be set four weeks after the release of 6th Ed.  The rules pack was re-written and FAQ’s hurriedly drafted, and all systems go.  The event itself ran smoothly with only small rules arguments.  Once again a great atmosphere, everyone who I saw had a great time and I cannot thank enough those who participated!
 This was also the first time a member of the Solent Wargamers Club finished with a podium position at one of their hosted events, a proud day for the club after 5 years!

I would like to thank, in no particular order:
The Royal British Legion Portsmouth (south)
The Solent Wargamers Club, and all its members
Ben Calvert-Lee (http://mastercrafted.co.uk/) for his help in making the prizes
All the players who attended a Core-Games event
The Spiky Club, and all its members
Hammer 'N Ales, and all its members
GW Portsmouth, especially the manager Ger
KR Cases
My loving and eternally patient, wife and son.

Not everything has been positive, and I would be wrong to say it is.  Certain, more competitive, gamers do not like the direction my events have taken.  With the plethora of competitive events already out there, especially in my market area, I want to offer my community an alternative to this cut-throat atmosphere.  I have never been keen on the idea of restricting or altering army lists, but I do insist on fair play.  Some gamesmanship had become unacceptable to both myself and others, and action was taken to stop it.

As we move toward 2013 I am planning more events, and hopefully branching out to other exciting game systems.  For now, please look forward to one day 40k tournament in January!


Tony Kirby,
Owner of Core-Games

Comments