Word Bearer, a custom painted MacFarlane Artist Proof Action Figure

 


During my summer holidays I thought it would be a good change of pace to do something different. By painting a MacFarlane chaos space marine.  So, not too different to my normal routine, but at least a different setting and scale!

For those not in the know, these action figures come either pre-coloured (coloured plastic with details painted or decaled on) or artist proof (neutral grey plastic).  The artist proof is released alongside the standard version, but often has a few unique pieces (head, weapon, chest eagle etc).  Although the intent is clearly for the artist proof version to be painted by the owner, prepping these can be a tricky process.  The plastic is soft and tears if sanded, so its best to cut the flash off.  To get to all the recessed you must strip the action figure to its component parts.  This will require a bit of heat to expand the joints and force to pry them apart.  At least they take paint well.

After a halfords grey undercoat, I sprayed Vallejo metal air Gold over all the trim.  This is green-gold shade, ideal for suggesting a bit of age on a mini.  Unfortunately, when I went to mask the gold areas, it was too smooth and the blutac/masking tape slipped off! 

Basecoats done, it was time for a play about with floro paints and oil washes. All in, this was 10 hours work.  I’d be happy to sell this guy on for £180, or, if you want me to paint a custom version of any action figure, I’d accept a commission of £150.

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments