Why I'm Not Playing Warhammer 40,000

Warhammer 40,000 was the game that got me into tabletop gaming. It was an easy transition from Airfix kits to GW, the colourful and imaginative universe combined with the mixing of historical and the mythological was intoxicating to my young nerd self.

But I will not be playing 9th ed. I bought Indomitus, and I have now sold it. I'll not deny my emotions were running high for a new edition, having not enjoyed the game since 6th, but I was hopeful. I even painted an Ultramarine army in anticipation! 

What went wrong?

First Turn Advantage

The fundamental game design of I Go You Go (IGYG) has run through every edition of 40k. But recently alternating activation's have been embraced by GW, in games such as Kill Team, Warcry and Necromunda. The benefit of alternate activation to the player, is that no one one is left unable to make choices for a long period of time. From the perspective of good game design, it reduces the effect of first turn advantage. Let's talk about the latter for now.

For whatever reason you want to choose (rule of cool, spectacle creep, GW wanting to sell more kits etc) games of 40k have swelled from a few squads and a dreadnought in the 90's, to Knight Titans and formations described as 'battalions'.  This is not inherently a problem, but it does not scale well in IGYG. The more minis on the table, the more potential damage they pump out. Again, not a problem, until that potential damage is focused.  And that focus, optimally, is placed on the biggest threat to you.

So whoever gets the first turn can wipe out their biggest threats, at no risk to them self.  Their opponent now has a less effective army, and is disadvantaged. The rules writers have patched a number of fixes to mitigate this (stratagems to 'dig in', terrain blocking LoS, outflanking) but they are mitigation, and their inclusion creates extra complexity (not choice) in a convoluted rule set.  I'd rather believe that tabletop games are more about skill than luck, and a 50/50 chance on the first turn, and its advantages, is leaning a little too much on luck for my liking.

Player Choice

The illusion of choice has been exploited by GW for as long as I can remember.  Their books proudly boast about the multitude tactical options afforded by the selective use of units, stratagems, relics and traits.  For the most part, these are not meaningful choices.  

Imagine, if you please, being asked to dig a hole in the ground.  You are presented with a dessert spoon, a banana and a spade.  You may select one of the three items to use, or ignore them and go at it bare handed.  There is clearly an optimum tool for the job, but all are valid choices.  This is how GW addresses player choice.  There are stratagems, relics et al that serve no purpose but in all the most niche of situations.  

It seems that most of these options are included to 'add flavour' and define the 'feel' of an army.  No doubt there are players out there with the proverbial banana, and they are having a great time in their games.  I also have no doubt they would have an equally good time if the banana wasn't there.  I will take a book with a dozen or so meaningful choices over a book full of Hobsons choices.

Bloat

It is no longer possible to play 40k with just the rule book and codex, a problem that is rapidly escalating.  To get the full set of meaningful choices for an army requires: rulebook; codex; Pyschic Awakening supplement; Chapter Approved.  That is a set of four books, weighing in at about 3kg.  Trying to find the pertinent information to play a game, mixed in amongst the detritus of other information, is an exercise the most determined student could appreciate.  Do not worry though, GW will happily sell you reference cards, or you can make your own!  Now, I do not know about you, but that sounds like a lot of hassle for this slice of escapism.

With the release of 9th, GW have subdivided Chapter Approved into smaller books.  What was once included in an annual compendium, has had been divided into 'tournament pack', 'bring your own terrain tournament pack' and more books on the way.  This would be the escalating problem part of the bloat criticism.

Anecdotally I retweeted a meme about the amount of books required to play 40k.  The only response I got was that everyone wants choice, and they were looking forward to more books!  He did not seem to understand that choice is not a good thing in and of itself (not all choices are equal) and that more books is another barrier to entry.  

The Big Rule Book

I'll finish of on a petty gripe, I do not want to read a big rule book.  I do enjoy owning one, it looks good on a shelf.  But you cannot read it in bed with any degree of comfort. Just publish a gamers' version in A5, most other companies do this. GW even did it in the previous edition. My wrists started hurting after a few minutes holding it up.  Yes, trying to learn 9th ed gave me physical discomfort!

Out

9th is about as polished as you're going to get a flawed rule set, but to get anywhere near the full depth of the game requires a substantial investment in time and money.  I'm sure that at the very top level of play the game has a weird evolved ecosystem where these flaws become something else (for better or worse), much like any of the previous editions (or any game).  

But I've never felt so shut out by a new version of the game. I'm sure the purists will say that you do not need all the extra material, but that does not stop that material being used against me.  Assuming no ill intent, how much pre-game discussion needs to be had about what is and is not acceptable out of all the content? If I lose, I want it to be because I made a mistake, not lucked out.  I do not want to spend more time researching every possible choice and interaction in a game, than I do at my job.  Games should be fun, not work.

I'm tired of 40k and I did not even play a game.

But I'll happily paint your minis!




Comments

  1. Agreed. I dropped out of playing Warhammer 40k part-way through last summer when the thought of having to either play catch-up or have to play with someone who had to catch up to me was just too much. That and the tedium that is Knights and other super-heavy concentrations of points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your points are very valid and someone who started the hobby back in 3rd edition of 40k it has become a book/rules bloat. They did streamline the rules in 8th where you no longer needed almost 100 pages of "basic rules" but now its divided across multiple books instead. I stopped buying the books many many years ago as it was clear they got changed every few years and then you'd have to buy more for new rules. I know many people for what ever reason enjoy this plethora of rules and books, but I don't. I have played a single game of 5th edition since way back when and nothing else. I do enjoy the models and that's what has kept me in the hobby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment