Raising of the Sea Haunt

There's alot of chat in the Age of Sigmar painting community about concept armies.  My understanding is that this is taking an abstract/abnormal concept and applying it to a whole.  The classic example of this that sticks out in my mind was a monochromatic Khorne army, using a blood effect as the accent colour.  

It was a strong look, but not how I would choose to do things (although I may change my mind about that).  But I did have a boxed up army of Nighthaunt, and the previous two colour schemes I choose didn't quite gel with me.  I also wanted to complete an army with a limited colour palette, so I had to think hard how to approach this.

I started this project off the back of my Sons of Behemat cove dweller themed list, and I decided that my Nighthaunt should be the nemesis of my gangly brethren.  It did not take a huge leap of imagination to have an army of ghosts emerging from or being part of the ocean after that!

Painting the army was simple after the decision had been made.  A strong zenithal undercoat was applied, followed by Akhelian green all over through an airbrush.  White acrylic ink, with a drop of aetherglow, was airbrushed over the top of the model after.  Basecoats done, it was a simple process of highlighting with Ulthuan Grey and white.  Metals were all picked out with Ironblaster and shaded with Aggaros Dunes.  I treated myself with the flames, painting them with florescent paint.

 This took a little under four weeks to complete, although some of the water effects are still to cure.  By no means would I take this army to an event in its current state, but it is a solid base to build any future matched play army around.

Thanks for reading!

Comments