Disciples of Tzeentch, Tournament Army Review

 

This weekend I attended a local tournament to find out how the latest Tzeentch book would play. The South Coast Series is a set of events held at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton. Besides the Age of Sigmar event, there was also Warhammer 40,000, Age of Darkness, Star Wars Legion, Star Wars Armada and Blood Bowl events.


My learning style is definitely ‘play to learn’. Book reviews are good, especially when the reviewer is matched play orientated or keenly invested in the army. But that cannot express the feeling of playing with an army, the mental strain it puts you through. Its capability to adapt to opponents’ actions, or its own failings. To my mind, Disciples of Tzeentch has the potential to be a surprise winner at a five-round tournament. Let’s start with my list:



I’m going to be relying on all aspects of the Tzeentch army rules to make the army perform:

· Spawn creation. There are three ways to make minis into spawn in this list, but only two possible per turn. The creation of spawn within engagement range of enemy units gives me two things. In my turn I can shut down ‘unleash hell’ when I make charges. In my opponents turn I can stop enemy shooting and/or charges.

· The Burning Sigel of Tzeentch. Used to create spawn units. If the enemy are using high wound units (and unlikely to be ‘spawned’) I can move my units in range to spawn them. Its setup range and aura means it is a credible threat to your opponent round 1, forcing them to alter their plans. Especially effective against 5 wound heroes.

· Cult Demagogue. This ability on the Magister means any double is cast, cannot be unbound and generates two summoning points. Because of the simultaneous actions in the main rules, if I roll a double one to cast a spell, I ignore the miscast. Destiny Dice can be used with this ability too. Having the Chronomantic Cogs nearby can be useful to fish for a double.

· Guild of Summoners. With the Cult Demagogue ability, five hero wizards and the Arcane Tome it is possible to generate twelve summoning points in turn one with this army. Guild Lords of Change only need nine points for the first unit, and twenty thereafter. With Chronomantic Cogs on the table, it is likely you will have a greater deamon at the end of your movement phase.

· Lauchon. Used to transport the Thaumaturge. This can also be used in the enemy hero phase. This is an excellent way of capturing objectives and then darting off out of reach. Offensively it can allow the ogroid to keep up with the enlightened for more punch. A third benefit is he can be a summoning point for lords of change.

This mostly went according to plan at the weekend. Weirdly, I always had the first turn in my games, as my opponents always gave it to me and I always wanted it. This created a spawn before my opponent could move as it targeted clan rats. In my first game this stopped three warp lightning cannons from unleashing hell. In game four I threw the ogroid forward to get within 12" of an Ironjawz army. This stopped the Ironjawz army from using their hero phase move. This meant that being double turned was less impactful to me. The Skyfires are invaluable in plinking off buff characters, especially the Warchanters.

In the third game my opponent explained that his Stormcast bow knights had an area of effect mortal wound damage bubble. I ignored this and lost most of my characters, then the game. All my fault and not a reflection on the army.

I let myself down in the final round with poor placement of Lauchon, resulting in him being dispelled. The ogroid was then eaten by dragons. Unfortunately, dsiciples rely on magic to create mortal wound damage output. When used against Stormcast dragons they can ignore the effects on a 4+, and he got the odds in his favour to keep his units alive.

The mental load of using this army is high and will not allow many mistakes. But at no point in any game did I feel like I had no chance. The only weakness I felt was that the army could be overwhelmed. With careful positioning you can limit your opponent to only hitting with one thing at a time.

I will be making some adjustments to this list. The Thaumaturge does not hit as hard as I'd hoped, so I will try swapping him for a Tzaangor Shaman. I'm undecided on Lauchon. The ability to steal objectives is a constant source of pressure on my opponent, but I could use the Umbral Spellportals for long range damage. Whatever you decide to do with the army,  I hope you enjoy it!

 


Comments