Soulblight Gravelords Concept Work

Welcome to another of my irregular articles!  After finishing my last couple of armies, Hedonites & Seahaunt, I wanted to try out products I have not used often, or at all, and see what would happen.  This project was not about the overall quality at the end, but a proof of concept about what could be achieved.

The deadwalkers were my first unwilling victims.  I used my a zenithal highlight of grey over white, then used pastel blue ink over the top.  This ink has a much better coverage than I imagined, so the zenithal was mostly redundant.  


My next big experiment (and risk) was applying an enamel wash all over the mini. I used Mig products Starship Wash for this.  


After letting the thinner medium dry for 30 mins or so, I used a makeup sponge or cotton bud to rub the surface of the mini. This should leave the enamel wash in the recess's of the mini.  


Highlighting was carried out when the enamels had thoroughly dried.  This could be a simple drybrush, edge or even glazing, treat yourself!


The final trick I wanted to use some simple lighting effects.  I blobbed some blu tac where I wanted the source to be, then airbrushed white ink over the top, creating a halo.  I picked the part of the mini closest to the source and lightly drybrushed white outward and away from this.  I loaded up floro yellow paint in the airbrush, and applied a thin coat over the white ink and the drybrushed part of the mini.  With the glow complete I glued the candle into the place where the blu tac used to be.

Hope you found this interesting, hope to see some of your versions in the comments!
 

Comments