Back to Square (Base) One

I write this the Monday after attending an AoS event, the 'Waaagh Warmup'.  I had five tight games against some great guys, and I made so many mistakes (both technical and tactical) I felt I deserved to come 14th out of 26!  I was also fortunate enough to claim Best Army 2nd Place, but more on that in another post.


 In an odd set of circumstances, I was reminded of a classic PC game 'Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat' and I wanted to recapture that feeling of formed fantasy combat.  Unfortunately, actual WFB and T9A doesn’t feel like that kind of Warhammer to me.  But then I saw a shameless sales plug from the author of Shieldwall, and his art style immediately reminded me off the little vignettes in WFB 5th ed.  A few minutes later, I bought it. 


My next concern was that I wouldn’t find an opponent to play (this is a reason I’m GW loyalist, even though I know their games are not the best) so widened my horizons.  It happens that Kings of War is fairly popular and uses the same basing conventions as Shieldwall!  A quick search of eBay secured me a battered copy.

 

Finally, I came across these excellent zombies from Fireforge Games.  The ‘B-Movie’ make up look, generic fantasy style and potential for humour was just right for my tastes!  Looking forward to putting this all together and pushing it around!

Comments